Friday, December 10, 2010

My first experience with Webmin

Today I will share my first experience with webmin. It happened sometime back but I am expressing it to you all now. I was shifting one of the servers from windows platform to linux. It was then I got to know of webmin from one of my seniors who was working with me.

What is Webmin?


Webmin is a web-based interface for system administration for Unix. Using any modern web browser, you can setup user accounts, Apache, DNS, file sharing and much more. Webmin lets you manage a system from the console or remotely.

Installating webmin on Ubuntu or Debian
Installtion of webmin is quite simple you need to follow the following steps to install webmin in any Debian based platform.

1. Download the webmin's debian package. It is easily available at sourceforge or you could download it from here. Save the package, it is just 14Mb in size.

2. Open the package and click install.

3. Webmin will automatically get installed to /usr/share/webmin/.

4. The username would be set to root and the password will be the current root password. If there is any other user present on the system, the username & password of that user could also be used.

5. Webmin could be accessed by using the url http://localhost:10000/
(Here 10000 is the default port for the webmin service.)
Webmin could also be accessed remotely by using your system's ip in place of localhost in the above url.

Important Note:
If debian complains of missing dependencies the it could be sort by typing the following on the terminal

apt-get install perl libnet-ssleay-perl openssl libauthen-pam-perl libpam-runtime libio-pty-perl

For more help and support you can refer the official website or contact me, I would try to help you out.

No comments:

Post a Comment